Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Wetherby Athletic AFC


Wetherby Athletic AFC - Match centre

Wetherby Athletic
Howden Clough
L McEntee (53'), J Wilson (61'), A Walsh (78')
Full time
Unknown (66')
Sat 2 Sep 14:30 - West Yorkshire Association Football League - Division 1

REPORT: Wetherby Athletic 3 v 1 Howden Clough

Wetherby Claim First Win At The Ings!

After a hard fought victory on Wednesday night, Athletic were looking to makes it back-to-back wins with Howden Clough this time being the opposition. The scene was set on a perfect afternoon for football and Wetherby were able to name an unchanged team from the one that faced Aberford, with John Tehrani passing a fitness test prior to kick off.

Howden Clough had suffered a heavy defeat to Aberford in previous weeks, but if Wetherby thought this was going to be an easy afternoon they were in for a shock as our visitors put up a very spirited performance, with their Keeper Sam Mellor being exceptional in goal from the first minute to the last.

Wetherby started brightly, but the final pass was lacking and although the hosts had the majority of possession no real clear cut chances were forthcoming. Wetherby's possession had earned them a series of corners, but all too often they became catching practice for the Howden Keeper.

Dave McKay went close from a free-kick just outside the area and Josh Wilson was causing their defence problems with his pace. In midfield Antony Walsh, Paul Hustwit and Tehrani were winning their individual battles, but as the half wore on it was Howden who were finishing the strongest.

A dangerous free-kick was well saved by Mike Recchia and both Greg Harrison and Andrew Graham were having to cope with the physical threat that the visitors posed.

From an excellent move, Walsh found the ball at his feet on the edge of the area. His first time shot looked a certain goal all the way, until Mellor produced a superb save to thwart the Wetherby Player.

Freddie Jackson and Phil Milsom were combining well down the flanks and a cross almost found the head of Harrison, who literally took the keeper and the ball into the back of the net. After a lengthy delay both players were thankfully okay to continue.

Half time and the scores were locked at nil-nil. The game had become a very tight affair and again you sensed this was not going to be a high scoring affair. Thankfully it was Wetherby who broke the deadlock.

A quick through ball found the hard working Liam McEntee. The Wetherby striker took a few strides and his shot looped over the stranded keeper. Relief all round for the Wetherby faithful.

If anything, the goal spurred the visitors on rather than the hosts. The game was becoming increasingly fraught with the referee having to get involved to keep the peace on numerous occasions.

From a quickly taken free-kick a Howden striker found himself one on one with the Wetherby keeper, however Recchia was equal to the task and pulled off another very good save.

With McKay and Tehrani struggling with knocks, Tom Frost and Arran Horton were introduced. Soon after Wetherby found themselves two goals to the good. Wilson cut in from the left and his shot deceived the Howden defence with the ball nestling nicely in the oppositions net.

Two up and Wetherby could now relax and see the game out.......not a chance! Howden, who had always looked dangerous when near goal, found themselves back in the game following a well taken free-kick.

Recchia was called into action again and made a very good save, preventing Howden from levelling the game. In midfield Hustwit, Walsh and Horton started to re-impose themselves and a well worked move down the right found Bradley Spencer, who had been introduced as a substitute. His positive run earned the hosts a corner. This was drilled in by Horton and met perfectly by Walsh, this time giving the keeper no chance.

Wetherby were able to run down the clock and see out the game with a very hard fought 3-1 victory. This was far from an easy afternoon and Howden made it very difficult for the hosts. They battled well and never gave up, always looking to play positive football. However Wetherby can now look forward to our next game on the back of successive victories.

Report by Andy Young

The Red Lion Wetherby Man of the Match: Special mentions to Mike Recchia in goal, who produced some very important saves and Liam McEntee as his non-stop running earned him a well-deserved goal. The back four also played very well when put under severe pressure. However man of the match goes to Anthony Walsh. After the penalty miss on Wednesday, he promised a big performance and he certainly did that, capped off with the all-important third goal.

Next up is an away trip to Kippax. We wish Howden Clough all the best for the rest of the season and a special mention to their keeper who was simply outstanding.

Post-Match Reaction From The (stand in) Gaffer (Chris Plews): 'We stuck with the same team and formation that had worked so well on Wednesday evening. I asked the lads for another committed performance and they all stood up to the task. These games are never easy. Howden Clough may have suffered a heavy defeat in recent weeks, but they showed up and proved to be a real handful. We just need to look after the ball a bit better and not panic with our decision making.

I'm pleased that Macca (Liam McEntee) got off the mark and he put in another selfless display leading the line. The back four carried on where they left off on Wednesday and Walshy (Anthony Walsh) had a very good game. All in all, a pleasing few days, six points and only one goal conceded. I've got to be happy with that!!!

Wetherby Athletic AFC are sponsored by:

Anthony Walsh

Player of the Match

Anthony Walsh

Key moments

Goal Liam McEntee scores for Wetherby Athletic
Goal Josh Wilson scores for Wetherby Athletic
Goal Goal for Howden Clough
Goal Anthony Walsh scores for Wetherby Athletic


View 0 new events
90:00 Player of the Match
Anthony Walsh is awarded player of the match for Wetherby Athletic
78:00 Goal 3 - 1
Anthony Walsh scores for Wetherby Athletic
74:00 Sub On
Brad Spencer is substituted on for Wetherby Athletic
66:00 Goal 2 - 1
Goal for Howden Clough
61:00 Goal 2 - 0
Josh Wilson scores for Wetherby Athletic
57:00 Sub On
Arran Horton is substituted on for Wetherby Athletic
57:00 Sub Off
John Tehrani is substituted off for Wetherby Athletic
55:00 Sub On
Tom Frost is substituted on for Wetherby Athletic
55:00 Sub Off
Dave McKay is substituted off for Wetherby Athletic
53:00 Goal 1 - 0
Liam McEntee scores for Wetherby Athletic
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Wetherby Athletic
  • Howden Clough
  • 0
  • Liam McEntee Goal 53:00'
  • Tom Frost Sub On 55:00'
  • Dave McKay Sub Off 55:00'
  • Arran Horton Sub On 57:00'
  • John Tehrani Sub Off 57:00'
  • Josh Wilson Goal 61:00'
  • Goal 66:00'
  • Brad Spencer Sub On 74:00'
  • Anthony Walsh Goal 78:00'

Team selection

Recchia, Mike Recchia, Mike
Harrison, Greg Harrison, Greg
Milsom, Phil Milsom, Phil
Jackson, Freddie Jackson, Freddie
Graham, Andrew Graham, Andrew
McKay, Dave McKay, Dave
Tehrani, John Tehrani, John
Hustwit, Paul Hustwit, Paul
Wilson, Josh Wilson, Josh
Walsh, Anthony Walsh, Anthony
McEntee, Liam McEntee, Liam

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Aberford Albion
Rawdon Old Boys
Whitkirk Wanderers
Leeds Modernians
Featherstone Colliery
Oxenhope Recreation
East End Park

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Rawdon Old Boys 14 35
2. Featherstone Colliery 13 31
3. Wyke Wanderers 14 31
4. Whitkirk Wanderers 12 27
5. East End Park 16 26
6. Boroughbridge 14 25
7. Wetherby Athletic 14 24

Team sponsors


Club sponsors