Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Wetherby Athletic AFC


Wetherby Athletic AFC - Match centre

Wetherby Athletic
Unknown (5', 34' Sent Off)
Full time
A Walsh (4'), J Wilson (25'), A Graham (30'), A Horton (61'), J Gillies (81'), Unknown (22' OG)
Sat 9 Sep 14:30 - West Yorkshire Association Football League - Division 1

REPORT: Kippax FC 1 v 6 Wetherby Athletic

Athletic Run Riot As Kippax See Red!

An action packed first half saw Wetherby lead 4-1 and with the addition of two more goals, including a superb diving header by Jamie Gillies, Athletic were too hot to handle for Kippax FC and leapfrogged above them and into fifth place in the league. Welcoming back Dom Creamer back into the fold Athletic were also able to name Ben Sadler on the teamsheet for the first time this campaign.

Having avoided a torrential downpour that saw standing water left in both goalmouths, it was Kippax who showed their intentions straight away when a bouncing ball was headed over Mike Recchia however, the left leg of Andrew Graham was able to hook it clear with a yard to spare!

Wetherby reaped the reward for some decent build up play down the left wing in the fourth minute. Brian Blewitt swung in a deep cross and an unmarked Anthony Walsh had all the time he needed to guide his header past the goalkeeper.

Unfortunately for Athletic, their lead lasted all of a minute when, from the kick-off, Kippax picked up on some hesitancy in the Wetherby reargued and the ball was drilled low past Recchia.

The Tangerines nearly restored their lead two minutes later when Arran Horton’s corner found Greg Harrison in the area, but his snap shot cannoned off the crossbar.

The pitch was starting to become a factor in the game and a slip by Blewitt allowed Kippax to steal the ball. Striding into the area, the Kippax player also looked to lose his balance when shooting and the ball ended up behind Recchia’s goal.

Wetherby were pressuring Kippax’s defence and it needed a clearance from the custodian to deny Blewitt, before Walsh skied his shot after being picked out by Horton.

Kippax also had opportunities to take the lead with a fierce shot that crashed into Phil Milsom, before Harrison had to stretch to poke the ball clear of an onrushing player. Recchia was also called into action when he spread himself well to divert a shot from close range.

Blewitt’s tenacity led to Wetherby regaining the lead in the 22nd minute. Refusing to give up a lost cause, the assistant-manager nicked the ball from a Kippax defender and drilled in a low cross that the keeper could only divert into his own net.

Three minutes later and Wetherby were 3-1 up. Josh Wilson was bundled over just outside the area and he made no mistake with a curling free kick that picked out the top right hand corner of the net.

With a third of the match played, things got even better for Wetherby when Horton’s corner picked out Graham at the back post and his thumping header nestled into the back of the goal.

Kippax continued to probe away and a free-kick was placed too close to Recchia and the keeper was able to claim it without trouble.
The hosts were reduced to ten men in the 34th minute when Mr Douglas adjudged an elbow to have been swung at Harrison. Following a lengthy talk with the perpetrator, a red card was flashed and the striker was dismissed.

The loss of their player seemed to spur Kippax on and Milsom and Creamer had to combine to defend a dangerous move down the left. In the end, they managed to scramble the ball clear for a corner.

The end of the first half was delayed when both Harrison and Kippax’s keeper needed treatment following a collision whilst going for a corner. Fortunately, both men managed to get to their feet after several minutes and play resumed.

The second half saw Kippax come out of the blocks in determined mood as they looked to reduce the score-line. Several crosses were delivered into Wetherby’s area, but each time, the backline manged to repel the danger.

Finally getting hold of the ball, Horton released Creamer down the left and his cross found Walsh, but just as the striker set himself to shoot, a well-timed tackle robbed him of the opportunity.

Winning a free-kick just outside the area, the hosts played in a lovely dropped ball that needed John Tehrani to deal with the danger, getting his head to it, he manged to clear at the second attempt under considerable pressure.

With 57 minutes played, Kippax thought that they had pulled one back when some neat passing through the middle released their striker and he got to the ball a split second before Recchia, but it rolled just past the post by the narrowest of margins.

Wetherby were searching for their fifth goal and a fierce drive by Wilson flashed just wide. Minutes later, Blewitt turned well in the area, but another well-timed tackle stopped him from shooting, however Athletic were not to be denied and in the 61st minute Horton picked up on the rebound following Tehrani’s original shot, moved round a defender and powered the ball home from just inside the area.

The goal seemed to deflate Kippax and it turned into one way traffic. A good pass from Milsom picked out Walsh, but his shot failed to trouble the keeper. Minutes later a free-kick by Horton was met by Harrison, but the Kippax defence scrambled it clear.

Martin Powell introduced Gillies into the frame in the 65th minute, replacing Wilson and it wasn’t long after that Sadler replaced Horton to make his debut.

Kippax reminded Wetherby that they were still in a game when a move down the right was flicked just over Recchia’s crossbar.

A goal line clearance denied Creamer a goal in the 74th minute and minutes later Walsh directed his header just wide of the back post after some good play by Sadler on the right wing.

The final goal arrived in the 81st minute and it was a beautiful diving header by Gillies, following Blewitt’s cross, which beat Kippax’s stopper from six yards out.

With the clock winding down, it was Recchia who was called into action as he clung onto a free-kick and then had to run across his line at full speed to hold onto a dangerous returned ball, after a short back-pass had forced him into a hurried clearance.

Report by Pete Arnett

The Red Lion Wetherby Man of the Match: Several players put in a good claim for this including Arran Horton and Paul Hustwit, who was his usual busy self in the centre of the pitch, but just pipping them was Brian Blewitt who seemed to be at the centre of most moves. His determination not to give up was rewarded with two assists and a fierce cross that led to an own goal.

Post-Match Reaction From The Assistant Manager: “To come here is always hard and to come away with the three points is massive. Kippax are always a difficult team to play and they will certainly be pushing come the end of the season.

We knew that we could score goals and it was only a matter of time before we did score lots in a match. Hopefully this game will prove to be the kick up the bum we needed to prove we could do it. Being critical, maybe we should have had more as we missed some sitters, but to come here and score six, we will definitely take that. We just need to push on now as a team.”

Wetherby Athletic AFC are sponsored by:

Brian Blewitt

Player of the Match

Brian Blewitt

Key moments

Goal Anthony Walsh scores for Wetherby Athletic
Goal Goal for Kippax
Own Goal Own goal conceded by Kippax
Goal Josh Wilson scores for Wetherby Athletic
Goal Andrew Graham scores for Wetherby Athletic
Red Card A player is sent off for Kippax
Goal Arran Horton scores for Wetherby Athletic
Goal Jamie Gillies scores for Wetherby Athletic


View 0 new events
90:00 Player of the Match
Brian Blewitt is awarded player of the match for Wetherby Athletic
84:00 Yellow Card
Paul Hustwit is yellow carded for Wetherby Athletic
81:00 Goal 1 - 6
Jamie Gillies scores for Wetherby Athletic
80:55 Assist
Brian Blewitt makes an assist for Wetherby Athletic
70:00 Sub On
Ben Sadler is substituted on for Wetherby Athletic
70:00 Sub Off
Arran Horton is substituted off for Wetherby Athletic
65:00 Sub Off
Josh Wilson is substituted off for Wetherby Athletic
65:00 Sub On
Jamie Gillies is substituted on for Wetherby Athletic
61:00 Goal 1 - 5
Arran Horton scores for Wetherby Athletic
End of period 1
34:00 Red Card 1 - 4
A player is sent off for Kippax
30:00 Goal 1 - 4
Andrew Graham scores for Wetherby Athletic
25:00 Goal 1 - 3
Josh Wilson scores for Wetherby Athletic
22:00 Own Goal 1 - 2
Own goal conceded by Kippax
18:00 Yellow Card
Yellow card for Kippax
5:00 Goal 1 - 1
Goal for Kippax
4:00 Goal 0 - 1
Anthony Walsh scores for Wetherby Athletic
3:58 Assist
Brian Blewitt makes an assist for Wetherby Athletic
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Kippax
  • Wetherby Athletic
  • 0
  • Brian Blewitt Assist 3:58'
  • Anthony Walsh Goal 4:00'
  • Goal 5:00'
  • Yellow Card 18:00'
  • Own Goal 22:00'
  • Josh Wilson Goal 25:00'
  • Andrew Graham Goal 30:00'
  • Red Card 34:00'
  • Arran Horton Goal 61:00'
  • Josh Wilson Sub Off 65:00'
  • Jamie Gillies Sub On 65:00'
  • Ben Sadler Sub On 70:00'
  • Arran Horton Sub Off 70:00'
  • Brian Blewitt Assist 80:55'
  • Jamie Gillies Goal 81:00'
  • Paul Hustwit Yellow Card 84:00'

Team selection

Recchia, Mike Recchia, Mike
Tehrani, John Tehrani, John
Milsom, Phil Milsom, Phil
Graham, Andrew Graham, Andrew
Harrison, Greg Harrison, Greg
Horton, Arran Horton, Arran
Blewitt, Brian Blewitt, Brian
Hustwit, Paul Hustwit, Paul
Creamer, Dom Creamer, Dom
Wilson, Josh Wilson, Josh
Walsh, Anthony Walsh, Anthony

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Aberford Albion
East End Park
Leeds Modernians
Howden Clough
Oxenhope Recreation
Rawdon Old Boys
Whitkirk Wanderers

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Rawdon Old Boys 14 35
2. Featherstone Colliery 13 31
3. Wyke Wanderers 14 31
4. Whitkirk Wanderers 12 27
5. East End Park 16 26
6. Boroughbridge 14 25
7. Wetherby Athletic 14 24

Team sponsors


Club sponsors